At the first meeting of the year, January 4th, our guest speaker, Yvea Zaels facilitated a panel discussion. The topic of this discussion was how we as Toastmasters can support English as Second Language (ESL) members. Mona Cooley, Keith Lee and Maria Kandaurova were the 3 Igniters who participated in this panel. All three of them offered us practical tips how we can support ESL members. Review and practice their tips below:
· Offer a clear explanation on the importance of Table Topics and why we do it
· Explain the importance of having a mentor
· Explain the value of Toastmasters
· When evaluating keep STRESS in mind
True – be honest
Sensitive – to differences in culture
Strategic – provide 1 – 2 suggestions that would be most effective for the speaker
· Explain all meanings for the word of the day and use it in a sentence.
· Write and display the challenge word for all to see
· Have monthly meetings between clubs so they can practice in front of different people
Let’s work together to help all members feel supported and guided at Igniters.